Cost-Saving Energy Efficiencies Conference Programme
Incentivising Behaviour Change, Harnessing Technological Innovations & Getting Business Case Buy-In For Fast Paybacks & Impressive Cost Savings Through Energy Efficiencies
A One-Day, Industry-Led Conference & Networking Event, 19th June 2013, Grand Connaught Rooms, Central London. Download The Conference Brochure Here.
08.30 Registration & Coffee, Objective Setting
Register, grab a coffee and meet and greet your fellow attendees, sharing your major challenges and setting your goals and objectives for the day.
09.00 Morning Chairman’s Opening Remarks
Programme Manager, Future Planning & Sustainable Development
John Lewis Partnership
Embedding Energy-Efficient Behaviour – Double Perspective
09.05 Incentivising Your Staff To Engage In Energy-Efficient Behaviours Which Reduce Energy Consumption & Are Fully Embedded In The Company Culture
- Engage and empower staff from cleaners to CEOs to ensure employee-led activities make a difference and energy-efficient behaviour is embedded throughout your organisation
- Ensuring you have a targeted approach in enabling key opinion leaders, departments and individuals to buy into, and encourage others to take part in, your energy efficiency strategies
- Investigating how to measure the effect of maintaining behaviour and awareness campaigns over longer periods of time
- What are the penalties and costs for not making staff aware of energy-efficient behaviour?
09.05 Perspective One
TOP SPEAKER 2012
09.25 Perspective Two
Group Energy Manager
Technology In Practice – Practitioner Panel Discussion
09.45 Real-Life Experiences: Implementing Technological Innovations & Renewable Energy Generation To Reduce Costs & Carbon
- What works? Technology solutions which deliver strong business cases, energy savings and ROI
- What didn’t work? Lessons learned and the mistakes made
- From ground source, to biomass, to solar tiles and rainfall harvesting. What is the expected plan for incorporating renewable energy generation into future business operations, and how will this impact energy-efficiency strategies?
- Are current lighting and heating solutions limited in providing further savings?
- The new buzzwords – what will be the successors to today’s energy efficiency solutions?
UK Energy Manager
Bupa Care Services
10.15 Refreshment Break With Informal Facilitated Networking
Energy Consumption Focus
10.40 Reduce The Energy Consumption Of Your Building – Why It Makes Sense To Look At The Fans & Motors First
Head of Sustainability
ebm-papst UK Ltd
11.00 Focusing Your Time & Resources With Accurate Data Monitoring, Measurement & Verification
- Pinpointing wastage: how do you choose or devise a method of energy monitoring which works with your building and complies with regulation?
- Improve data collection with focused, best-practice monitoring and targeting
- Benchmarking; when is an energy saving “good”?
- Guidance on comparing and contrasting your data with external sources of energy efficiency data
- How to implement process and monitoring strategies to safeguard against surprise maintenance costs
- Demonstrate, verify and prove the business case for energy efficiency solutions by collecting your baseline and historical data
- Better working practice with your landlord – is joint or shared monitoring the way forward?
Director of Corporate Social Responsibility
Alliance Boots Group
Securing Finance – Double Perspective
11.25 Where’s The Money? Tapping Into Alternative Sources Of Financial Support To Make Your Business Case Stronger
- Best-practice advice on accessing alternative funding mechanisms to maximise your chances of success
- Have government incentives such as the green deal, the energy company obligation and feed-in tariff had tangible successes that make them worth applying for?
- What does the private sector have to offer in funding incentives and capital allowances?
11.25 Perspective One
National Carbon and Environment Manager
Royal Mail Group Facilities Management
11.45 Perspective Two
- Understanding the finance packages of energy performance contracting
- Investigating ESCO models in practice
- What sort of returns can be expected from these investments and how do they compare to the market?
Director, Sustainable Energy Finance
12.05 Managing Estates As A Single Entity – Delivering Your Energy Reduction Goals & Objectives For The Organisation As A Whole Can Be Achieved By Maximising Your Existing Assets
- Setting clear goals and objectives for the organisation as a whole
- Providing the right information to help you understand the current situation
- Having the right management tools to provide an interactive, site-wide overview
- Delivering effective, pro-active control of distributed estates
- Providing feedback to the organisation as a whole for maintaining energy efficiency improvements
Energy & Support Solutions Manager
Trend Control Systems
12.25 Applying Intelligent Buying Strategies & Processes So Energy Efficiency Measures Work Together & Deliver Cost-Effective Savings
- In a growing market full of options and strategies, how do you get behind the quotes get to the truth on what will deliver true savings?
- Best-practice advice on the questions you should be asking suppliers on the limitations and application of their energy efficiency solutions
- Smarter procurement: avoid long-term, costly mistakes by ensuring your energy efficiency solutions work together to deliver savings rather than incur extra costs
Speaker to be announced. Please check the website for further details.
12.50 Lunch & Informal Networking For Delegates, Partners & Speakers
13.30 Informal Roundtable Peer Discussions & Technology Trouble-Shooting Zones (20 minutes during lunch)
Facilitated by Bill Dickson
The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust
Facilitated by Matthew Deakin
Group Environment Consultant
13.35 Afternoon Chairman’s Remarks
Head of Property Plan A
Marks & Spencer
Tailored Business Cases – Double Perspective
13.55 Securing Senior Buy-In & Raising The Profile Of Energy Efficiency By Providing Compelling, Tailored Business Cases Which Save Costs & Provide Quick Paybacks
- Legacy, shareholder value, money, recognition; guidance on tailoring your business case to the language and drivers of what gets your chief executive and board excited
- Getting the numbers right on identifying the capital and finance you need to determine the length of payback
- Identify business cases in other areas of the business where energy efficiency solutions can be part of the answer
- Anticipate stumbling blocks and the concerns of stakeholders by carefully identifying and managing the risks of implementing your energy efficiency strategies
- When is it not worth putting the business case together? Guidance on energy efficiency investment in properties with shorter leases
- Lower your bills by fostering better cross-business working with your landlord by acknowledging divergent views on building and asset improvement
14.00 Perspective One
The Crown Estate
14.20 Perspective Two
- Filtering: identify as early as possible when to stop investigating an efficiency initiative
- Honing: anticipate stumbling blocks and the concerns of stakeholders by carefully identifying and managing the risks of implementing your energy and water efficiency strategy
- Preparing: get the numbers right for identifying the capital and finance you need to determine the length of payback
- Appealing: tailor your business case to persuade your key decision-makers
- Promoting: obtaining sign-off for a current business case does not mark the culmination of your activities, but signals the start of building credibility for future ones
- Adapting: meet the emerging challenges of shorter lease breaks and longer paybacks
Group Carbon & Utilities Co-Ordinator
3 Snapshot Retrofitting Case Studies – Efficient Sites
14.40 Lessons Learned From Practitioners Themselves On Energy Efficiency Strategies Which Deliver Savings & ROI In The Real World
- The business case: what was the driver and how was the energy efficiency strategy incorporated into the design of the property?
- The data: how energy efficient is the property now and is the ROI measureable and demonstrable?
- What were the key lessons learned?
- What’s new? Innovative solutions and strategies to be implemented next
14.40 Phil Osborn
Head of Energy
Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd
15.00 Declan Rajasingam
Natural History Museum
TOP SPEAKER 2012
15.20 Refreshment Break With Informal Facilitated Networking
Quick Wins, Shoestring Budgets
15.50 The Low Hanging Fruit: Making Energy Efficiency Work On A Limited Budget
Where are the quick wins for smaller budgets? In these case studies, learn the mistakes made and the solutions chosen for a cost-saving, carbon-reducing energy efficiency strategy which demonstrated ROI on a limited budget.
Bart’s Health NHS Trust
DECC Closing Plenary – Policy Update
16.15 Navigating Current & Future Energy Policy & Compliance Burdens To Avoid Financial & Reputational Penalties
- What’s coming, and what will affect me? Opportunities and requirements
- Policy update: the current drivers and government programmes which are encouraging energy efficiency
- Jumping the hurdles: the UK’s energy efficiency strategy to address market failures
- Discussion of whether mandatory carbon reporting and inclusion of scope 3 reporting has been detrimental or worthwhile in driving organisations to be more energy efficient
- Staying ahead of the curve: who, where and what impact will the Energy Efficiency Directive have on industry and business?
Director of the Energy Efficiency Deployment Office
Department of Energy & Climate Change
16.35 Official Close Of Conference
Consolidate your learning from the main conference day with this separately-bookable, post-conference, half-day morning workshop: 20th June 2013
AM) Develop Compelling Lighting & Heating Business Cases Which Demonstrate ROI
08.45 Workshop Registration & Coffee
09.15 Meet and Greet
Business Case Buy-In
09.30 Building Business Cases Which Get Buy-In
- Identify what you need, your incentives and drivers to form the basis of a solid business case with quick paybacks
- Excite the board and senior management: guidance on what gets signed off and why some energy efficiency schemes just fail
- Have you targeted all the low hanging fruit? Investigate when is the right time to put forward business cases with longer paybacks
- Keep the board and management engaged by maintaining buy-in over time
The Guinness Partnership
The Guinness Partnership
10.15 Refreshment Break
10.45 The Data: Ensuring Your Business Case Stands Up To Long-Term Scrutiny – Rountable Discussion
- What is the current cutting-edge technology that pinpoints energy usage and wastage?
- “One system might not fit all”. Investigate where and how to monitor your lighting and heating solutions in different locations and areas of the business
- When is an energy efficiency scheme successful? How to determine ROI and prove savings have been made
- What sources are best to benchmark against in measuring where you are in providing energy efficiency savings and lowering your carbon footprint?
11.15 Heating Your Sites Cost-Effectively With Technological Innovations
- Stop throwing money out the back door and sort the myths from the facts. Ambi-rads, warm air, hot water, heat pumps or air-conditioning; get to the truth and decide what kit you need
- Is CHP the way forward for incorporating energy-efficient heating solutions?
- How will renewable energy generation impact heating operations in practice?
- The next buzzword – what heating solutions will provide the biggest energy savings in the future?
- Save money by accomplishing quick wins with staff behaviour changes
Natural History Museum
TOP SPEAKER 2012
12.00 Networking Lunch
12.30 Workshop Closes